Some vegetables can be thrown in boiling water, scooped out after a couple of minutes and just taste good by themselves (e.g. Brussel sprouts!). Others need a little frying in a frying pan and they’re good to go...
Tag - vegetables
The science of vegetables (and for that matter fruits), is more extensive than you might think. What about?:
- The chemistry of its colours
- The unique texture
- The bitterness of a product like Brussel sprouts
- The spiciness of peppers
- The role of zucchini in a cake (in a chocolate cake to be precise)
- Why it can be hard to soften an eggplant
- How smart packaging can extend the shelf life of vegetables without any added ingredients
- The fact that vegetables respire, even after harvest
- Or the popping of popcorn (did you know not everyone corn can pop?)
Or continue reading for a lot of other interesting topics.