A basic, very simple recipe for making your own paneer. Apart from the ingredients you will need a clean cloth (cheese cloth works best).
- 1 liter milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice / lime juice / vinegar (if using vinegar, start with 1,5 tbsp, it’s a little stronger)
- Bring the milk to the boil.
- Take it off the heat but do not let it cool down.
- Add the acid and mix through well. The milk should start curdling pretty much right away. You will see white curds forming and the liquid becoming more transparant/yellow. If the liquid stays white you have to add some additional acid. Add it in steps of 1 tsp to prevent from overdosing.
- Once the liquid (also called whey) has become clear, pour the mixture over a cheese cloth.
- Fold the curds in a cheese cloth and place below a heavy pan or stone to press out the remainder of moisture.
- Wait at least 30 minutes before using if you want a firm paneer, you can easily leave it up to two hours, it will just become a little firmer.
- Once the paneer is ready you can store in the fridge for max a few days.