We’ve got the perfect list of gifts for you, if you’re looking for a gift for someone (could be yourself 😉 ) who loves food & science and who:
- Will actually use that ice cream or bread baking machine;
- Loves to figure out how stuff works and dedicate time to it;
- Appreciates that special cookbook which teaches them something completely new;
- Actually reads the explanations of how or why a recipe works;
- Might possibly already have all of the stuff in the list, but let’s be honest, will always be able to use an extra spatula or trivet;
- Doesn’t buy stuff because it’s fancy, but because they want to use it;
- Wouldn’t mind if it’s second hand! (so don’t restrict yourself to new stuff)
- Will save to buy the good stuff, instead of buying cheap, only finding out it’s ruined after there zillionth weird experiment.
Please note, this page contains (Amazon) affiliate links. This means that, at no extra cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you buy through these links. Always feel free to buy somewhere else (e.g. your local book or kitchen store). The links can be recognized by the text ‘BUY’.
ON FOOD AND COOKING
A bunch of short ‘stories’ on interesting phenomena in food.
THE CURRY GUY
We’re big fans of Masterchef Australia (a great way to learn more about food), this is the cookbook of one of the presenters, has great modern Greek recipes. BUY
SCIENCE OF GOOD COOKING
BOOKS ON BREAD BAKING
For your bread baking enthusiast we set up a whole separate post listing our recommendations!
Equipment tends to be a more expensive gift, so be sure to check that your food science enthusiast is really into whatever you’re giving.
ICE CREAM MACHINE
SOUS VIDE COOKING
Because if you live with a food science enthusiast you’d like to reduce the number of tools in your kitchen. This one blends, cuts, slices, grates, mixes, etc. BUY
Because even though it might require extra care and effort, that’s exactly what your food science enthusiast loves. Figuring out how best to take care of it is part of the fun. What’s more, these things last a life time and they are super versatile! We happen to be Lodge fans, but there’s more choice out there of course.
This large one can be used for baking breads, deep frying, soups, etc. A small frying pan always comes in handy as well. BUY
For those scientists exploring the science of bread baking, but of course, to be used for any sciency experiment with the shape of a loaf. BUY
GRIDDLE + GRILL-IN-1
To bake pizza’s, make a pancake, fry
breakfast, prep your hamburger feast and the list goes on. BUY
No need to go expensive! There are plenty small things that make the life of a food science enthusiast so much easier.
Essential for mixing, cleaning, scraping and any other food sciency kitchen task. Make sure they’re heat resistant! BUY
To store all those experiments and to not forget what’s inside there! Our favorties are from IKEA
You want to be precise and normal weighing scales won’t work well for these small quantities! BUY
To mix all those weird batters a good STURDY whisk is essential. No clue where we found ours, but don’t get a thin wiry one please.
Baking by weight instead of volume will give so much more accurate results and gives you so much extra flexibility. You definitely need a scale for them. BUY
Last but not least: what you shouldn’t buy
Just like with any gift giving, don’t give gift just for the sake of giving gifts. At least that’s our opinion, that cool little garlic slicer or that one handy dandy tool to peel just that one specific fruit, there’s not a lot of people that will be happier after having that (except of course, if your special person happens to be a huge fan of that specific fruit). Also, for the food science enthusiast in your life, a kitchen is there to be used, as is the stuff inside, so don’t buy:
- Expensive sets of cutlery and plates, chances are these will be used for all sorts of experiments, not a good idea.
- Really, anything that can’t handle a creative mind at work in the kitchen ;-).
- That little cookbook with a random collection of topics, you food science enthusiast will be happier with a specific in-depth cookbook or science book.
That said, you know your food enthusiast best, so use that knowledge to come up with that brilliant gift!