Who are you?
What are you looking for?
Looking for something else?
Our latest content:
- How an ice cream bar is madeIce cream bars seems to become more and more fancy. They used to be a creamy center, on a stick, with a simple chocolate or fruity layer around them. However, nowadays there are ice cream bars with […]
- How whisk(e)y gets its flavourWhat’s the similarity between vanilla ice cream and whisky? Any clue? It’s the vanilla. Whisky often contains vanilla flavours, just like ice cream does. But no vanilla bean has been […]
- Cookie icing science – Science guide of cookie decorationEvery Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentine’s day or any other big holiday decorated cookies will start popping up all over the internet. Decorated pumpkins, heart, eggs and trees with […]
- Ripening of fruits & vegetables – On Ethylene and (non)-ClimactericShould you buy a banana ripe or unripe? And what about strawberries? Or pineapple, avocado, green beans or Brussels sprouts? Your first reaction might be that it depends. It can depend on when […]
- Guide to choosing a filling for your baked goodEver seen a blueberry pancake recipe and transferred it into a banana one? Or saw this cool new cake flavour that you applied on ice cream? A lot of product and recipe development starts this way. […]
- Plenty (Yotam Ottolenghi) – A cookbook reviewAfter having tested and tried the cookbook Sweet from Yotam Ottolenghi and only ending up with great food, I decided it was time to buy one of his savoury cookbooks. I decided on Plenty since I read […]
- Why & how sour cream is used in cakes – Sour cream scienceWe’ve discussed why you would use zucchini or carrots (even purple ones!) in a cake as well as how you can use corn starch powder instead of eggs. Of course there’s plenty more […]
- Why emulsifiers & stabilizers are added into ice creamHave you ever looked closely at the label of your ice cream containers? If you did, you might have noticed ingredients on there that you don’t normally use when making ice cream at home. Often, […]
- LoafNest: How a new way to bake bread was developedAfter testing the LoafNest and seeing how well it works, it was time to get to know the inventors of this new tool a little better. If you’ve missed the review: LoafNest is a new kit that makes […]
- Testing Loafnest: A smart way to bake beautiful breadIf you’re one of those people scared of baking your own bread because of the hassle and trouble involved, this post is for you. If you’re also interested in reading about a smart, […]
baking basics books bread browning butter cake carbohydrates cheese chocolate colour cookies dairy dough drinks eggs fats fermentation flavour flour foams food chemistry basics food enzymes fruit frying ice cream leavening meat milk nuts oven packaging pancakes pastry pie preservation production process proteins review scaling up starch sugar vegetables water activity yeast